Tuesday 7 May 2013

Day 4 - Carcassone, Barcelona

Time to leave the Kyriad Hotel. Nice place! 4 stars. We have more long driving today to get to Barcelona. I don't mind too much because I get to snooze on the bus - and at the moment I need it. My voice is still gone and I just feel tired; no sore throat or anything. Makes it difficult to chat to my fellow travellers.

Every tour has a PIB and we have ours. A young Asian girl - nfi what her name is; she doesn't really speak to anyone. She is travelling with a boyfriend (?) who hails from Sydney. First day, they were late - still on London time. She has told Patricia to be quiet two days in a row now - once because she was trying to book appointments and once because it was too much talking and her friend was trying to sleep. Today she was late and we nearly left without her from a toilet stop because she was on the phone inside. Not Miss Popularity!

We had a long drive today and at lunch we arrived at Carcassone, a medieval fortress. Quite impressive. Not so impressive is that you get inside (for free) the outer walls and it is full of small shops/cafes selling touristy stuff. To get into the chateau part you have to pay. Most of our group didn't bother. It was good to see the old building however. Some guys out the front were relaying the cobble stones.

There are so many cobblestones in Europe! Difficult to walk on. When we were at Versailles, a young girl from the other group was wearing boots with 4 inch heels - what part of a tour not being a fashion show didn't she understand? Despite the rugrats' insistence that I didn't need all my shoes, I have worn all of them so far. I am alternating the Asics and the Merrell walking shoes. I got a blister the first day on my little toe - those Bandaid Blistex things are miracle workers.

We are now in Barcelona. Again, more warnings about pickpockets. Apparently very bad. It is 25C here. The weather so far has been good all the way. This hotel, the Conforti Auditori, is okay. Not as nice as the last two. No tea/coffee facilities here. Margi's travel kettle will be handy and my cappuchino sachets. We do get free bottles of water though. Odd dinner - a nice pasta and salad mix, followed by a large rissole type piece of meat and some wedges, then a nice tart thing with walnuts on it.

Tomorrow we get to sleep in - till at least 7am!!! Now I have to adjust to a different language - just as I got my French coffee buying skills down pat. It is hard to order anything when you have to whisper all the time though.

No comments:

Post a Comment