Thursday 16 May 2013

Day 9 - Sorrento - Capri

Early start for the trip to Capri (optional). We hop on a ferry that takes over to Capri and once there do a walking tour of Capri village. Then the bus took us on a hair raising ride up to Ana Capri. I actually squeaked out loud when I looked out the window and saw sheer drop to the sea below! The roads are very narrow.

We went to see Augustus'garden - a beautiful place with great views. From there we could see Gracie Field's house. Sorry, no George Clooney, no idea where he lives! Everywhere there are lemons with some of the strangest shapes I have ever seen. I bought some lemon drop lollies to suck on - I am absolutely sick of this tickle and cough! Also got a mixed lemon/orange drink, freshly squeezed, which was so refreshing and nice; not at all acidy or sweet like a lot of our juice seems to be.

Next item was the chair lift to the top. Could I or couldn't I? They are single chairs, with just the bar across the front; but we were told that most of the time, they are not that far above the ground. I decided to go. GULP! I was hanging on like death to the pole. Most of it seems to be about 2 stories above the gardens below - until the last part. I just kept eyes on the summit! Alex was yelling out "You're gonna fall!"  Bastard! He took a pic of me as I came sailing in, just to prove I actually did it. 

The view from the top was spectacular and worth the heart pumpings. Coming down was going to be interesting too! Again the part near the top was the worst - I could not look down; eyes on the highest scenery! At the bottom I tried to get a pic of Alex as he arrived but the attendant kept getting in the way so it wasn't what we aimed for.

I found a farmica open (finally) and got the Italian version of Strepsils to ease my bloody cough!

We decided to take the boat ride around the island. I think it was about 15Eu and worth it. We saw the goats from where the island got its name, teetering up on the cliffs. There were two grottos - the white and the green. The driver backed the boat into them so we could see the algae that formed the colours and to take photos of the remarkable colours. The famed Blue Grotto was closed due to rough seas - you lie on your back in a small boat, inches from the grotto ceiling. It costs a lot just for that and it's not my idea of fun!

When we got back, we had a quick walk around to catch the ferry back to Sorrento. A fun day and worth the cost. Capri is lovely.





No comments:

Post a Comment